Hospital Initiative Toolkit – Private Access Only
Thank you for accessing our site for information on how to implement a hospital-based infant sleep safety program. We have tried to make the site comprehensive and have included all the documents that we use in our program. The program was established in 2008 and we have research that supports its usefulness for educating both staff and new families.
We want to make this program the best it can be because we all have the same goal: to make babies as safe as possible in their sleeping environment and eliminate as many of sleep-related deaths as possible.
- Documents 1 and 2 provide an overview of the infant safe sleep initiative. The first document has step by step details on instituting the entire program and the second document is a schematic overview.
HOSPITAL INITIATIVE TOOL KIT INSTRUCTIONS
- Document 3 is an organizational chart for a hospital-based infant sleep safety program
- Document 4 is a hospital policy for infant positioning and sleep safety practice
HOSPITAL POLICY (download document)
HOSPITAL POLICY (pdf)
- Documents 5 and 6 are acknowledgement forms that parents sign to show that they have received and understand the information on infant sleep safety.
ACKNOWLEDGMENT FORM (engl)
ACKNOWLEDGMENT FORM (sp)
- Document 7 is the “Safe Sleep Educational Flip Chart” for training/educating.
SAFE SLEEP EDUCATIONAL FLIP CHART
- Documents 8 and 9 are the Infant Sleep Safety Non-Compliance Waiver forms.
NONCOMPLIANCE WAIVER (engl)
NONCOMPLIANCE WAIVER (sp)
- Document 10 is the “Infant Sleep Safety Nursing Self-Education Module”.
NURSING EDUCATION MODULE (pdf file) (or DOWNLOAD PPT presentation)
10a) Safe Sleep Post Test 10b) Safe Sleep Post Test (Key)
- Documents 11-14 are educational tools that can be take-home items for the parent and used as reminders on infant sleep safety, or can be used in hospitals. Parents who receive infant safe sleep education be presented with document 15, a safe sleep graduation certificate that can be promoted as a developmental milestone and kept as part of a baby book.
SAFE SLEEP POSTERS and DOOR HANGERS (Engl. & Span.)
- Document 15 this is a safe sleep graduation certificate that can be promoted as a developmental milestone and kept as part of a baby book.
- Document 16 is a sample letter to share with other healthcare providers in the community to introduce them to your hospital’s safe sleep program.
SAMPLE LETTER TO HOSPITALS
- Document 17 is a sample letter to share with hospitals
SAMPLE LETTER TO PROVIDERS
- Document 18 and 19 are brochures that you can order from Cribs for Kids® to provide to families and the public.
ABCs OF INFANT SAFE SLEEP BROCHURES (engl)
ABCs OF INFANT SAFE SLEEP BROCHURES (span)
- Document 20 is a sample information sheet you can share with the press when you are ready to promote the establishment of your program.